With a mix of recent releases and decades-old favorites, the popular free Summer Movies in the Park series is returning.
The 16th annual countywide event that runs through Oct. 29 includes nine movie showings in Poway, Rancho Bernardo and 4S Ranch parks.
Attendees should arrive early for the movies that begin at dusk to stake out the preferred location for their lawn chairs and blankets. Several venues will have refreshments available for purchase, but participants are also welcome to bring a picnic.
The movies being shown on inflatable jumbo screens are:
• Cats — specifically a family of Parisian felines joined by a smooth-talking tomcat — will take over the screen when Disney’s “The Aristocats” is shown on Saturday, June 18 in Rancho Bernardo Community Park, 18448 W. Bernardo Drive.
The animated film from 1970 has the kitties trying to return home after they were kidnapped. It is rated G.
• If you have yet to see — or want a repeat showing — of Disney’s “Encanto” there will be three local opportunities this summer. The 2021 animated film is about a Colombian teenage girl who is the only one in her family without magical powers. It is rated PG.
“Encanto” can be seen on Saturday, June 18 in Poway Community Park, 13094 Civic Center Drive; on Friday, Aug. 12 in the 4S Ranch Sports Park, 16118 4S Ranch Parkway; and Saturday, Aug. 20 in Rancho Bernardo Community Park.
• A cast of animated animals who showcased their vocal music talents in 2016 are returning to the stage in Illumination’s “Sing 2.” Last year’s animated sequel has Buster Moon and his friends opening a new show with a reclusive rock star.
The movie, which features the voices of Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon and Scarlett Johansson, can be seen on Saturday, July 2 in Poway Community Park. It is rated PG.
• Many Looney Tunes favorites — such as Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, the Tasmanian Devil and Sylvester — will be hitting the basketball court with NBA legend LeBron James in the 2021 animated adventure comedy “Space Jam: A New Legacy.”
The movie staring James, Don Cheadle and Cedric Joe will be shown on Friday, July 8 in the 4S Ranch Sports Park. It is rated PG.
• Disney-Pixar’s “Luca” from last year is an animated adventure comedy about a friendship between a human and a sea monster disguised as a human on the Italian Riviera. Among voices in the film are those of Jacob Tremblay in the title role, along with Maya Rudolph and Jim Gaffigan.
Viewers of this PG-rated movie will want to bring their swim suits and floaties when it is shown on Saturday, July 16 in the Poway Swim Center, 13094 Civic Center Drive.
• An animated adventure comedy about a quirky, dysfunctional family’s roadtrip that is interrupted by a robot apocalypse will be shown when “The Mitchells vs. The Machines” is projected on the jumbo screen in Poway Community Park on Saturday, July 30.
Last year’s PG-rated film features the voices of entertainers such as Chrissy Teigen, John Legend and Conan O’Brien.
• It will be a throwback to the ‘60s when “The Sandlot” is shown on Saturday, Aug. 13 in Old Poway Park, 14134 Midland Road.
The 1993 film is a family comedy drama about a group of boys who play baseball and their adventures during the summer of 1962. The cast includes James Earl Jones and Denis Leary. It is rated PG.
For the complete list of movie showings, including nearby parks in Rancho Peñasquitos and Carmel Mountain Ranch, visit SummerMoviesinthePark.com.
Get the Pomerado News in your inbox weekly
Top headlines from Poway, Rancho Bernardo and 4S Ranch, every Thursday for free.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pomerado News.
At a time when local news is more important than ever, support from our readers is essential. If you are able to, please support the Pomerado News today.
Choose any amount, cancel any time